Postgame: Flyers Late Comeback Falls Short Against (17)Saint Mary’s

Photo Credit – Erik Schelkun

Follow him on Instagram @flyer_images

(17)Saint Mary’s Gaels: 61  Dayton Flyers: 57

The Saint Mary’s Gaels made a cross country trip to take on the Dayton Flyers on Saturday. This was only the second meeting between the teams with the Flyers winning the first. Kendall Pollard sat for the third straight game because of a thigh contusion. In front of an almost sold out crowd, Saint Mary’s came out firing on all cylinders to take an early 6-1 lead but the Flyers answered quickly. After some back and forth action, the Gaels had a 19-16 lead with 9:30 left in the half. Saint Mary’s then went on a 13-2 run over the next 5 minutes to take a 32-18 lead. They would lead at the half 39-26. Most of the first half looked pretty ugly for the Flyers. They were giving up tons of offensive rebounds which led to second chance after second chance. To start the second half, Dayton was getting stop after stop but couldn’t convert on the offensive end. Saint Mary’s took a 20 point lead when junior forward Calvin Hermanson drilled a 3. A lot of people started heading for the exits after this. The Flyers would finish the game on a 23-7 run and at one point had a chance to tie the game with 15 seconds to go. Sophomore forward Xeyrius Williams stole the ball in front of the Flyers bench. He attempted to drive the lane but was called for a charge. The Flyers would foul junior guard Emmett Naar, who nailed two free throws to put the Gaels up 4 with 7 seconds to go. Dayton showed that they can compete with top 25 teams without Kendall Pollard and Josh Cunningham which was a great thing to see. They showed a lot of resilience with the late comeback. After the game, Head Coach Archie Miller gave an update on Josh Cunningham. He said that he would be very surprised to see Cunningham play another game for the Flyers this year.

Saint Mary’s shot 37.7% (20-53) from the field, 30.8% (8-26) from the three point line and 81.3% (13-16) from the foul line. The Gaels had 38 rebounds, 12 of which were offensive, 16 assists, 13 turnovers, 2 blocks and 3 steals. They were led by Calvin Hermanson who had 16 points and 5 rebounds in 29 minutes. Junior big man Jock Landale had 15 points and 14 rebounds in 30 minutes.

Dayton shot 34% (16-47) from the field, 27.3% (6-22) from three and 79.2% (19-24) from the charity stripe. The Flyers had 31 rebounds but only managed 5 assists to 12 turnovers. They also had 2 blocks and 6 steals. Leading the way for the Flyers was senior guard Charles Cooke who had 19 points and 7 rebounds in 34 minutes. Senior guard Scoochie Smith chipped in 16 points and also had 3 of the 5 assists for the Flyers in 36 minutes.

The Gaels (3-0) (0-0 WCC) head back home to take on San Jose State Tuesday, November 22nd at 7PM.

The Flyers (2-1) (0-0 A10) will head out to Anaheim to participate in the Wooden Legacy Tournament. Their first game is Thursday, November 24th at 8:30PM against Nebraska.

Go Flyers!

Alex Handorf ’17

Alex Handorf
Born and raised in Dayton, Ohio. Currently attending the University of Dayton. I was born as a Flyer and have been going to games since then. I am currently majoring in Sport Management and minoring in business administration and expect to graduate in 2017. I am the head student equipment manager in the Frericks Center equipment room. Follow me on Twitter @Alex_Handorf13. Go Flyers!

Leave a Reply